The ULTIMATE Internet Site of Games-Related Speech

Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday Update: 3/3/2014

Oh god, it's already the THIRD! What can we do? RUN

NBA 2K13: something something Jay-Z (PC) First Appearance
Let me let you guys in on a little secret: I don't have a PC that can even sort of run NBA 2K13 at a decent level. I have everything set to as low as possible, my framerate is terrible (literally in single digits FPS at some points), and I don't own a controller so I'm using WASD and a variety of keyboard keys to attempt to maneuver Chris Paul into driving down the lane and not out of bounds. But I got through three games of it because I was really,
really,
really bored on Saturday morning. I lost all three of them, but I blame that more on the playing on a Keyboard than anything and I'll probably buy NBA 2K14 for the XBOX 360 sometime soon (whatever happened to companies developing games for handheld consoles? I know for a fact I'd play the Arvydas Sabonis out of NBA 2K14 for the Vita if it were ever released there) (actually I'm going to e-mail 2K games or Sega or Left Field or whoever makes those games anymore and ask if they're planning on putting 2K15 on the Vita) (Scratch that, I'm sending them a postcard)

But anyway even though I lost all three games and my experience was on an outdated piece of technology, I definitely recommend NBA 2K13.

Pinball Arcade (PSV) First Appearance
I forget how much I love pinball every once in a while (I'm like that with Futurama, Asobi Seksu, and the Silversun Pickups to a certain extent as well) but I was introduced to Pinball Arcade, an emulation of classic tables, by Jeff Gerstmann from GiantBomb.com and I purchased the first four tables earlier today. I'm really impressed by it, because the physics feel very realistic, and though the Vita's shoulder buttons leave a little to be desired in terms of using flippers, everything went very smoothly. The standalone game on the Vita comes with four games included, but you can purchase more. It's like Game Room for the XBOX 360 to a certain extent. The makers of Pinball Arcade seem to have more investment in Pinball Arcade than Microsoft did with Game Room, however; which is to say that they care at all and hopefully will get to tables like RollerCoaster Tycoon sometime (the Chuck E Cheese that I used to go to had that one and I'm sorta nostalgic for it)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1) First Appearance
The PlayStation original version of THPS2 was the first version of THPS2 I ever played, but also the one I've played the least probably. I never owned this version of THPS2 until I obtained it in the Great PSone Deal of 2013 (My friend Christian gave me his old PSone that he didn't want with a few games, one of which was this, along with Tomb Raider II, Madden 2002, and Medal of Honor). Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is admittedly one of my least favorite entries in the Tony Hawk series, and I absolutely prefer the Dreamcast port. That didn't stop me from completing the game 100%, however; so I still clearly enjoy it.

---
That was a pretty eclectic mix for one week if I do say so myself

No comments:

Post a Comment