The ULTIMATE Internet Site of Games-Related Speech

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Games and That Year End Awards 2011 by Clay

Clay-

GAMES

Best Game of 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
I spent a lot of time playing video games this year, but this is the game I would choose if I could pick only one. With over 40 hours on the main quest (plus many more hours of side quests) this Zelda adventure is definitely worth it. The Collector’s Bundle is an excellent deal too! A gold Wii remote with Motion Plus built in? An amazing symphony CD? Yes please!

Best Handheld Game of 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
I had played OoT before on a remake for the Game Cube and loved it, but the amazing graphics and experience was something else on the 3DS. The moment I grabbed my slingshot and used the gyroscope to aim and look around, I was in love. If you still need a reason to buy a 3DS, this is the one.

Worst Game of 2011
Robo Rush
A Mario-esque adventure on the iPhone sounds pretty great, but the controls make the game absolutely unplayable. The worse part is that the screenshots show a joystick and A and B button control, which is not what the game actually has.

Best Innovation of 2011
United States Predator Drones
A good way of hunting terrorist and protecting civilians. (Seriously though, I had to do a whole debate season about this.)

Best Free Game of 2011
Early Bird
This iPhone game is a fun way to pass the time. With a fun protagonist, huge selection of levels, and a pick-up-and-play feel, it has to be the best free game this year.

Best Remake/Reboot of 2011
3DS Ambassador NES and GBA Games
Bringing back 10 NES and 10 GBA games for people who got their 3DS hooked up to the internet before August 12th was a fantastic idea. With so many great games, the 3DS is very hard to put down. I am currently playing Metroid Fusion, which has quickly become one of my favorite games.

MUSIC
Best Song
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Monarchy of Roses
This is the very first song on their new album I’m With You, which is an excellent album. I’m not sure why I like it so much, but it gets stuck in my head all the time. I don’t really like the music video, though.



Worst Song
Florence + The Machine- Dog Days Are Over
I know this song came out in December of last year, but I dislike it so much I had to put it on my list. I saw them perform it on SNL, and couldn’t believe people enjoyed the performance. It apparently is a pretty popular song, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS97V9RcWw0

Best Album of 2011
MGMT- Congratulations Remixes EP
This 3 track EP has remixes of the songs Congratulations, Siberian Breaks, and Brian Eno. The Siberian Breaks remix gives a new take on one of my favorite songs, and is the main reason to buy the album (only 3 bucks on iTunes). The Congratulations remix is pretty good but the Brain Eno one sucks. Too bad you have to buy the whole thing to get Siberian.

FILM
Best Movie Seen in 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
If you’ve seen the other Potter movies and liked them, then you are going to watch this and love it no matter what. Seeing it in a ghetto movie theatre with friends was awesome, and it does a very good job of ending the series.

Worst Movie Seen in 2011
Game Over
This movie is hilarious if you watch it with your friends, but it truly is horrible. I liked the part when the girl was there at the beginning, but unexplainably absent for the rest of it.

THE INTERNET
Best Website
IsItChristmas.com
Whenever I get confused and wonder if it is Christmas yet, this site sets me straight.

Best Internet Video
HOW ABOUT A GAME OF YOU MUST DIE?!?!?!?!? (On Youtube)
There’s plenty of stupid videos on YouTube (often refered to as YouTube Poop) but this one is fantastic. I love all of the Mario Teaches Typing references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxv4HHrKANU

Stay beautiful, internet peoples.
-Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment